Actions and Detail Panel
NoEstimates Workshop - Vasco Duarte
Thu 11 May 2017, 09:00 – 17:30 CEST
Stop wasting time and money.
#NoEstimates is an approach to software development that arose from the observation that large amounts of time were spent over the years in estimating and improving those estimates, but we see no value from that investment.
Indeed, according to scholars Conte, Dunmore and Shens* a good estimate is one that is within 25% of the actual cost, 75% of the time.
This is the same as saying: give us your money, we promise not lose more than 25% of it (with a 25% probability that we will lose a lot more). We don’t find that acceptable or productive for our industry.
There must be better ways to manage software and product development.
What will you learn in this course?
In this workshop we will review and analyze why we do estimates and how we can improve software and product development while reducing the time and money invested in estimating.
WORKSHOP LEARNING GOALS
• Decision making frameworks for projects that do not require estimates
• Investment models for software projects that do not require estimates
• Project management (risk management, scope management, progress reporting, etc.) approaches that do not require estimates
• The tools and arguments you need to prove the value of #NoEstimates to your boss
• How to get started applying #NoEstimates right away
• Where is #NoEstimates going and what are the likely changes to software
development that will come next
Lean Startup, Agile, Scrum, Business, Management. Speaker and author at NoEstimatesBook.com.
Do you have other questions you would like to see tackled about #NoEstimates? Send us your questions ahead of the workshop and we will tackle as many of those questions as we can before and during the workshop.
*Paper referred to by Steve McConnell in his book: Software Estimation, Demystifying the Black Art.